Svenska Saintpauliasällskapet

Forum för det som rör föreningen, saintpaulior och vår hemsida.
Aktuellt datum och tid: 2018-08-15, ons, 03:25

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme [ Sommartid ]

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 5 inlägg ] 
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: Greetings from Germany!
InläggPostat: 2010-10-19, tis, 13:27 
Frö

Hello!
Mein name is Galina. I live in Germany and I have a large collection of violets.
I only know that in Sweden there are natural varieties of violets.
I would love to have some natural varieties of violets. Could you help me? We are talking about these classes:

Saintpaulia confusa
Saintpaulia difficilis
Saintpaulia grandifolia
Saintpaulia grotei
Saintpaulia 'Mafia Hills'
Saintpaulia 'Mwachi'
Saintpaulia orbicularis 2004-0847
Saintpaulia 'Sigi Falls'
Saintpaulia 'Ajohn's Spinning Bells'
Saintpaulia 'Ajohn's Winter Sun'
Saintpaulia 'Kermit'
Saintpaulia 'Millenium Sport'

Sorry if I'm not in that place the subject of my request.
Thanks

Inläggsrubrik: Re: Greetings from Germany!
InläggPostat: 2010-10-20, ons, 10:44 
Grodd

Hello Galina and wellcome. My name is Janne (male) and im from sweden. Im also a new member here. unfortunately i dont have any of those u want. There are not to many people in here right now. its the wrong season i think. But i hope there will be more later . In winter time people have nothing to do in their gardens and surf more ? Any way i collect miniature and micro violets and also want some yellow. My girlfriend have some wild species , i can ask her but its very cold outside now so its not 100% safe to ship. Im sure some of the others will write to u soon. C U :-)

InläggPostat: 2010-10-20, ons, 11:49 
Småplanta

Hi Galina,

I'm also looking for natural sainpaulia species, mainly S. confusa / grotei (but all natural species are welcome), so if I come accross any I'll let you know.

InläggPostat: 2010-10-20, ons, 13:37 
Frö

Thanks!

InläggPostat: 2011-07-08, fre, 12:42 
Vinnare av pokal!

Hello and welcome!
Please if you have any requests for trades or purchases, place them in the section entitled "Efterlysningar". Make sure that you have your email address either in your user profile for others to see, or write out the email address in the request text - the requests area is acting as a notice board, so you cannot post a reply to messages there. The requests area is automatically cleared out of messages older than 30 days.

We only have the forum rules available in Swedish, so it's not so easy for you to know! :) I just want to try and keep the requests and ads in separate areas for them to be more easily located.

Now, to your message (which is old by now, so this is a very very late reply - sorry for that!)
The plants you listed are not all wild/natural species of Saintpaulia --

These are pure species, they have scientifical/botanical names that all start with Saintpaulia and then the second name is discriptive in latin/greek and always begins with a non-capital letter. In writing, you will often see them either in italics or underscored.

Saintpaulia confusa
Saintpaulia difficilis
Saintpaulia grandifolia
Saintpaulia grotei
Saintpaulia orbicularis 2004-0847 (the number on this is probably a collection/clone number from a botanical garden)

These are sometimes referred to as being "of the species group", they are sometimes referred to as being "natural hybrids" - in truth, I don't know any more what to call them. Mafia Hills and Sigi Falls were named after the places in Africa where they were first collected; if research proves them to be distinct species or subspecies, they will get scientifical/botanical names too.

Saintpaulia 'Mafia Hills'
Saintpaulia 'Mwachi'
Saintpaulia 'Sigi Falls'

These are hybrids, and the two first ones were created by the late Arne Johansson. We usually don't write out "Saintpaulia" when we talk about hybrids, because we usually know that it's all about this genus. But sometimes the same hybrid name can be found both in Saintpaulia and, for example, Sinningia - so sometimes it can be a bit confusing!

Saintpaulia 'Ajohn's Spinning Bells'
Saintpaulia 'Ajohn's Winter Sun'
Saintpaulia 'Kermit'
Saintpaulia 'Millenium Sport'

And I probably should have posted this information in the main forum, but it's nice to keep it with your original post I think. I might repost it on the actual website, in a longer section about the species - so thank you for bringing it up and making me think of it! :)

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 5 inlägg ] 

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme [ Sommartid ]